Useful Tips for International Students / Newcomers to Canada

Author: Aashima Verma

Useful Tips for International Students

Useful Tips for International Students / Newcomers to Canada

Get all the important documents ASAP

You need to get you SIN number to work in Canada. Your study permit should actually say how many hours you can work as an International students. It will also mention if there are any restrictions about that.

One of the most important things that you must know is signing up for Welcome Bonus. That’s an aid from Canadian government for you. Most of the students don’t avail this extra cash. It can cover your expenses for a couple months. Ask an accountant about it. You can always apply for it while filing for taxes.

Get credentials for your past education

This is really beneficial in the longer run if you already have a Bachelors or Masters degree. It can help you get direct credentials in some of the courses you are taking here. The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC) can help with the accreditation of internationally acquired skills. For more information, please visit the website at

Just in case you are taking two programs here and if they are interrelated, you can get credits from one program and use them in the second one. This helps a lot of students who take Marketing Management and Public Relations & Corporate Communications.

Want to become an Insurance Advisor?

One of the mantra that we follow here at President’s Academy is:

"At your own pace, in your own time.”

With over 10 years of Industry experience At President’s Academy, we not only help you become an Insurance Agent, we also help you equip with the skills you require to make it in this competitive market after achieving your certification.

Find work even before you land

There are a multitude of opportunities in this digital era. The one that we recommend immensely is getting certified in LLQP before you even land here. This certification will not only give you a fair chance at financial freedom+independent lifestyle but also make you more employable in you are looking for traditional jobs.

Driver’s License

It is best if you get your driver’s license when you get here because it gets very cold here and you’d need a car. You give the written test G1 followed by G2 or G depending upon your previous driving experience. Also, a lot of international students turn their car into an asset by making it their part-time job through Uber or Lyft.

However, if you want the same flexibility of hours but with some scalability for the future, insurance certifications are a way to go. Check out the benefits of these affordable certifications here.

Find a home

It’s difficult to find a place to live. It’s also difficult to find people you would like to live with. We understand this. So, here are a few resources:

These are a few Useful Tips for International Students to get off the ground. Hoping it helps in calming down your nerves in this new country. Contact us for more support on insurance certifications.

Recent Posts

HLLQP Provincial Exam Tips

Now is the time to crack the final exam: your HLLQP provincial exam. Here are a few expert tips for you to clear your provincial HLLQP exam.

Read More

Retirement is not about stopping to work

4 in 10 Canadian business owners are unsure about retirement, says We can’t certainly say if it is fortunate or not but, retirement is hardly something people look forward...

Read More

President’s Academy
151 York Street, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 1A8
[email protected]  |  833 477 3743  |  833 – 4 PRESIDENT

Copyright © 2021 – All rights reserved | President’s Academy